Moving to independent living can be a very exciting time. It can also be lonely and stressful as you have a different set of responsibilities and are managing a household for the first time.
There is lots going on in and around Knowsley to ensure you get the best out of your social life.
- Knowsley Youth Mutual (KYM) is a unique organisation run for young people by young people. From mentoring, volunteering, support into training or employment, outdoor education skills, there’s something for everyone – check out the website for the latest news. You can also take part in the KYM Enterprise Programme – supporting you to develop your own community based initiatives and small businesses.
- Joining a local gym is a good way of meeting new people, as well as keeping fit and well. In Knowsley, care leavers up to the age of 21 years are entitled to a free gym membership – speak to your Personal Advisor to find out more.
- There is also lots going in in your local library too. From courses, events, free access to PCs and much more, visit the Knowsley Library Service website for the latest news.
- From cycling to park runs, exhibitions in the Kirkby Gallery to events taking place in the borough’s parks and green spaces, you’ll find it all on the ‘things to do’ section on the council’s website.
- Interested in volunteering? Then Knowsley Community Voluntary Service can help you get out and about and meet new people. You can learn about yourself along the way through work or volunteering. Contact Knowsley Community Voluntary Services (KCVS) on 0151 489 1222 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
- The Care Leavers Forum is held monthly for young people who are over 16 years old. The views of young people help to shape the services we offer you and provides an opportunity for care leavers to come together, socialise and share their experiences.
- The independent living skills course helps you to learn about the importance of socialisation, budgeting, cooking, understanding bills and any other skills you would like to develop.