Close up of painter hand painting a wall

Your Social Worker and Personal Advisor will support you and involve you in decisions about moving into a new home when you are ready to do so.

They will also help you to access independent living skills training.

  • Your Social Worker will discuss with you if you would benefit from living in supported accommodation for a period before you first leave care.
    • SHAP is an organisation that can provide you with supported lodgings, if this is where you would like to live.
  • You will be given priority on the housing waiting list. The council and registered social landlords have teamed up support you into your first home. This also means that if you are still 17 years old and are ready to live independently, but with some support, we may be able to help you get your own home or flat.
  • A resettlement passport is a pre-tenancy skills course available to you. This will help you to improve your skills and confidence when you are thinking of living independently. You will be supported to complete the course through your Personal Advisor or support from SHAP.
  • You will be supported to apply for all the correct benefits to help you live independently.
  • If you are in foster care, you can stay with your foster family up to the age of 21 years, if this is what you and your foster carer want. If you choose to ‘stay put’, you can also choose to delay accessing your leaving care grant until you leave your home.